Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

2013 Summer Staples: Cayucas/ Pickwick/ TWINSMITH

Can we take a moment to discuss summer jams? My absolute favorite time of the year to share music is the summer. There are endless opportunities to put on tunes, kick back with friends and enjoy warm-weather inspired drinks. Every year around this time, I end up with a few albums that are through and through enjoyable to everyone that end up getting heavy play time. When I'm too lazy to make a playlist (rarely, these days), it's nice to have a few go-to options.

My first choice of the summer is the Cayucas album, Bigfoot. I hosted a little brunch gathering on the 4th of July this year. I had Bigfoot playing in the background for a good half an hour before everyone showed up. My intentions were simple -- rope someone into going to their concert at DC9. I wasn't able to sell anyone and I find that crazy. When asked to describe them, I've been stating, "a distinct, young Vampire Weekend vibe without the hipster snobbery". What's not to love about that? Listen to Cayucos, East Coast Girl, High School Lover or really anything off the album while at the beach or patio drinking. Pair it with Hell or High Watermelon by 21st Amendment Brewery and I guarantee you it will be a good time.



I'd like to pick Pickwick's Can't Talk Medicine as another perfect summer soundtrack. The following opinion might be a little unpopular and I don't care. While everyone else is obsessing over More Than Just a Dream, the Fitz and the Tantrums album, Can't Talk Medicine should really be getting most of that love this summer. I adore both artists but Pickwick is, in my opinion, excelling at showcasing that retro vibe. When I put on this album, I can't stop dancing and envisioning myself in 1950's or 60's DC. It's a beautiful daydream. Stream The Round, Halls of Columbia and Brother Roland while preparing to go on a classic date this summer. Need ideas? Hit up a drive-thru movie, go swing dancing, attend a jazz concert, or find a local Speakeasy-inspired bar for some fancy cocktails.



Finally, TWINSMITH is a fun band I've discovered out of Omaha, NE. I've spent a good two days trying to pinpoint what band they remind me of and I can't pick one in particular (always a good sign). I've determined they're sort-of a lovechild between The Walkmen, The Shins and Local Natives. It's about as close as I can get. While their debut self-titled album hasn't quite been released (July 12), I've been frequently streaming it via Soundcloud the past few days. I have a strong feeling this album will get played constantly while having daytime drinks on my apartment rooftop. I'll make some boozy popsicles and life won't get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment