Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Chicago (Sufjan Stevens Cover) by Fort Frances

With Sufjan Stevens' Chicago, any city could be substituted for the windy city and any individual coming to age, starting over or finding themselves would be able to listen to and understand the complexities behind lyrics. I've always loved Stevens' approach here - upon first listen, the song almost sounds upbeat and peppy. However, peeling back each verse as a layer, the song grows progressively melancholic and any hope for a story to aspire to goes out the window. While some of us can relate here, none of us should really want to.

Fort Frances' cover wears the song's emotion right on the sleeve. From the beginning, anyone will know this story does not have a happy ending. At the very beginning of the song when "I fell in love again" appears, it's predictable by the end of the song a point will be reached where "I've made a lot of mistakes".

I can imagine myself streaming Fort Frances' cover over and over again the minute I decide the district isn't the place for me anymore. I've fallen in love with DC over the past two years, but as flighty of a person as I am, there will likely an incident that propels me to run. With every city there's this cycle one experiences where you: recreate your life, grow as a person, fall in love with the city and everyone within it but inevitably make mistakes and leave.

Within this cycle, I'm somewhere in between falling in love and making mistakes. Sometimes, I'm not so sure how much longer DC will have a hold on me.

You can listen to and download Chicago, as covered by Fort Frances, on Soundcloud. As an additional note, their new EP, Breathing Room, was released last week and is truly fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment