Pages

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pieces and Places: Desperados



(let's discuss the music I hear in district-area bars, coffee shops and other fine establishments)

Desperados is the neighborhood bar I always forget about. My friend group came here on Halloween and had an amazing time with $3 rails and the best bar food anyone can find in this city. Between fries with homemade Cajun sauce and homemade fried pickles (frickles), one can really do no wrong here. It's guaranteed to be quiet, the bartenders are always super friendly and it's a place two people can have a real conversation. I got especially lucky with our bartender last night. He was chatty, was providing great service and had this killer playlist going. A few songs into the evening and I knew it was time for another "Pieces and Places".

Date: December 25th, 2013 (Christmas!)
Time: 7:00 to 11:30 PM
Vibe: Dead quiet. A few beautiful folks waiting out the holiday at the bar.
Drink of Choice: two Shock Top drafts, an order of fries, two Abita Purple Haze bottles, and two mystery beer + shot combos. Merry Christmas to me! 

All I should say about this playlist: it was the best of indie music and had me intrigued for the entire four hours of my stay. The following songs were the stand-outs and my favorites:

I Stand Corrected by Vampire Weekend - the best quote came about when this song was playing "Nostalgia. It gets you deep. Like when you were back in your mother's womb." 

Zero by Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "it's like they're playing all the songs from Rock Band."

West Coast by Coconut Records - the song that hit all the right feelings. "I miss you, I'm going back home to the west coast."

Young Folks by Peter Bjorn and John - "I can never get over this song." I'm fortunate to only hear Young Folks at the right times and at the right places. I find myself circling back to it only occasionally and the magic is always preserved.

Fences by Phoenix - the bartender streamed quite a bit of Phoenix over the four hours I occupied a bar stool. Can we all take a moment to appreciate Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix for all it did to the band and to alternative music? While I love older Phoenix, their pinnacle was truly reached here. 

Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap - I've thought about this song being the forefront of my wedding playlist many times during my life so far, "a moment, a love, a dream, a laugh, a kiss, a cry, our rights, our wrongs." Is there anything more to life? 

Start of Something by Voxtrot - "Voxtrot is on this playlist. It's perfect now." Somehow, anyone who loves music as much as I do, will include The Start of Something on their quintessential mixtapes. It's a phenomenon.

Smiley Faces by Gnarls Barkley - While Crazy was the stand out track on St. Elsewhere, Smiley Faces was just as catchy and just as loved by me.

Such Great Heights by The Postal Service - Do I really need to say anything here? Put it on any playlist, anywhere and I will always appreciate those four and a half minutes of bliss.

Wake Me Up by Avicii - Avicii outdid himself with this song. It appeals to the mainstream stations, the EDM crazies and those of us who lean toward indie-folk music. He blended so many genres together in such a gorgeous way. I'm not sick of this song yet and it's always welcome.

Steady, As She Goes by The Raconteurs - "Is this Jack White's other band?" "Yes, but this is their only good song." Ouch, but true. I'm pretty sure this is the number one song I hear while out at the dives.

Dog Days Are Over by Florence + The Machine - a night isn't a night unless there's some Florence Welch coming over the speakers. I used to religiously listen to her on the long metro rides back to Silver Spring. I'm not commuting for social purposes anymore, so it's nice to hear her wrap up a fantastic bar playlist.

I encourage everyone to check out Desperados. I can never figure out why the bar remains so quiet. The drinks are good, the food is top notch (go just for the Cajun sauce) and the background music will keep you on your stool. You will find me here on holidays and those quiet weekday nights when I want to sit down, drink a beer and crank out some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment