Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Talk Is Cheap by Chet Faker

Valentine's Day is approaching. I'm in the camp that doesn't mind the holiday, despite how many single ones I've had. Two years ago, I was newly broken up with that dude who I moved across the country for, and spent the time hanging out in the (surprisingly packed) gym. Last year, I had major butterflies and magic feelings for a guy who I had started quasi-seeing only a few days before. We weren't even dating yet and he loathed the holiday. I was still giddy over the prospect. This year, I am seeing an amazing guy who is actually making the effort. This is new territory and a new relationship for me and I'm pretty excited to see what comes to fruition. 

When thinking about budding romances this holiday, if I were to make a mix, it would open with this sexy, but wise, new track from Chet Faker, Talk Is Cheap. Between the saxophone so smooth that I'd let it take me home from the bar and the sultry lyrics, my brain lights up when I hear this song start to play.

However, there are some important lessons to learn here, especially as I build upon new relationships."Talk is cheap my darling, when you feel right at home". How true is this? Whenever I am comfortable with my feelings, it's always easier to make promises than it is to deliver on them. Since there's trust or history built in already, a slipped promise doesn't seem as big of a deal. 

"I want to make you move with confidence. I want to be with you alone", is another sentiment worth drawing attention to. More so than anything, I believe one of the biggest foundations for success is the ability to inspire confidence in a partner and in yourself. Creating a comfortable and safe emotional environment (a home), while possibly encouraging those slipped promises above, allows room for inevitable mistakes and human flaws. 

Honestly, I wasn't expecting this latest release to make me pause and think these things over. That's the beauty of music.

Listen to Talk Is Cheap below. Join me in anticipating the debut LP, Built On Glass, available April 11th. Hopefully, Faker's wisdom will be present throughout the album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment