Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

san telmo by yesper

Almost a year ago, I stumbled upon some gorgeous, quiet folk music, courtesy of yesper and some midnight searching on bandcamp. This was one of those phases of my life where I wondered if I had made the right decision in the spring of 2011 to move from Seattle, Washington to Williamsburg, Virginia, to start adult life in Silver Spring, Maryland and to eventually make it into Washington, DC. Music was and always will be there for me in weird ways I can never adequately describe.

yesper's cannibal king was one of those discoveries, last June, that inspired insomnia, between the song itself and the story behind it. yesper had a flipped background to mine: he, apparently, is from Norfolk, Virginia and ended up in Seattle. I remember reading his bandcamp profile, feeling more connected to his music and reminiscing, because I miss Seattle from time to time too. He is an artist who remains such a shadowy-type character, an enigma even, recording songs in empty storefronts in Seattle and purposefully keeping a low profile. cannibal king was written on a farm in Chile and that adds to the intrigue, as I can hear the South American influences on some of these tracks. I don't think yesper can remain hidden for long. As time goes on, I believe my friends in Seattle will have no choice but to notice his (albeit quiet) presence in the local scene.


A few hours ago, yesper posted the video for the song, san telmo. I thought back to how I felt almost a year ago and experienced relief and astonishment that life can change so swiftly and drastically. I also felt a twinge of guilt over how much I've wanted to but haven't shared words yet on yesper's music. san telmo is a minimalist song but with worldly references and stunning character observations, set in the oldest neighborhood og Buenos Aires, Argentina. It's not necessarily the prettiest picture, but these details make me yearn to cross another South American country off my list, even so soon after my trip to Colombia.

Listen to san telmo below, on vimeo. You can also listen to and download both EPs, cannibal king and cables, on bandcamp. I'm really hoping this year or next is the year we'll finally see a full-length release.

1 comment:

  1. Of the songs from this post, I liked san telmo the best. There being a music video may be part of the reason, seeing as I could sit and watch music videos forever. I'll have to save this one to show to Nick. Being a guitar player himself, I think he'd be interested in his style.

    ReplyDelete