Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

[Local] Hand-Me-Down Cardigans by The Raised By Wolves


I have a bad habit of not associating certain songs with certain people. Once upon a time, this was true only for guys I was dating. However, when I confessed this tendency to my friend Adam, he was a little miffed that I didn't have a song for him. It was a fair point. I'm highly emotionally invested in music and if I'm at all close to a person, friend-wise or otherwise, I should be able to have a song that reminds me of them.

Frequently, I meet a person and I immediately know "their song". Sometimes, in other cases, it takes a few months before "their song" shows up on shuffle. More rarely, I'm convinced "their song" does not exist. 

With one of my friends, his song didn't really exist until today. 

The Raised By Wolves are a local Maryland/DC band that just popped up on my radar a few hours ago, via DC Music Download. Their debut album, Sadie Hawkins, was released today. It's a fantastic array of experimental, indie-pop-rock. I really appreciate albums that I can leave on in the background while focusing at work, but also have the occasional song or two that pulls me out of the "Excel trance". 

When I heard Hand-Me-Down Cardigans, I stopped searching through my email inbox and immediately went straight to the lyrics page. It was a strange visceral reaction but I quickly knew who this song reminded me of. This makes sense, but there's a distinct feeling of "district" feelings/relationships/friendships sprinkled throughout the lyrics. 

[She was standing alone again in that little black dress
And if she became a silhouette, that would have been best
Because I was cut from a different cloth]

[There lives a stranger inside of me that you will never know
Because a heavy hard heart is worth its weight in gold]

[And I never didn't love a girl who loved me first
And I could never be your one and only
Be your one and only lonely one]

To all the dudes I've been friends with here, this song reminds me of one of you. Is this blog getting a little too personal? Quite possibly. 

You can download Hand-Me-Down Cardigans and the entire Sadie Hawkins album (for free, or pay as you wish) on The Raised By Wolves' bandcamp page. Maybe, one of their songs will remind you of someone too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment