Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Letter to My Lover by The Local Strangers

I think I should miss Seattle more than I do. It's home by way of North Bend, Washington but the city lost it's charm after I graduated college. I felt the pull to flee and I've never looked back. As I've gotten more into music again, in the past year, I find myself overwhelmingly drawn to Seattle bands. Some days, I long for free posters from Silver Platters, house shows in the University District, and listening to Emerald City with the windows rolled down. A band that gives me major Seattle-lust on a regular basis is The Local Strangers. Their release late last year, Left for Better, has been a staple of mine over the past few months.

Their new track, Letter to My Lover, is absolutely heart wrenching.

Aubrey Zoli strongly showcases her vocal capabilities in a way where the emotion bleeds from her voice, through my headphones, and into my brain. Coupled with the lyrics, in particular, "you light the dark inside/ in so little time/ and I want to stay and fight this out with you", I'm left with a song that is highly reminiscent of my latest breakup. The song strikes the right chord between therapeutic and overtly damaging. The other high points include Andrew Joslyn on the violin and Ethan Eade on the trumpet. The violin is omnipresent-ly gorgeous but the unexpected trumpet is truly the aurally intriguing part of the song.

You can download Letter to My Lover (for free or pay as you wish) on The Local Stranger's bandcamp page.

No comments:

Post a Comment