Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

[Local] Morning EP by The Sun Kite

I keep lamenting over "breaking into the DC folk scene". To which, my friends and I question whether such a scene exists. I am convinced that it does, but not to the extent I'm used to being from Seattle.

That being said, a release such as Morning by The Sun Kite gives me hope that DC could be a place for folk to cultivate further.

Morning is conceptually, lyrically, and musically themed around, you guessed it, the morning and is the first of three releases. In my opinion, many albums nowadays lack something to tie everything together. I'm not saying every album released should be conceptual, but some sort of cohesion is always appreciated. When I first read the intents behind Morning on the bandcamp site, before listening, I was excited over the prospect but also a little apprehensive about how ambitious the project seemed.

Upon my first listen, I'm happy to say the project is beautifully executed. It's a slow build-up, on purpose, starting from Lantern through Braving The Wind. I think there's no other choice but to follow along with the intent and treat this EP as a niche. Listen to this in the morning -- preferably before the commute, work and that first cup of morning coffee. This is meant for stretching upon waking, embracing the birds chirping outside, taking a morning walk, watching the sunrise and soaking up that quiet morning period before the day actually begins. I'm fortunate enough to live right on the perimeter of Malcom X Park in DC. One of these summer mornings, I'm going to sit next to the fountain and play this through.

Michael Frommack, who self created the EP, reminds me of both Aqualung in the early tracks and Ben Howard in the later. For some reason, while listening to Bluebird Mend, I couldn't get Aqualung's 7 Keys out of my head. It's a strange parallel but I'm going to roll with it.

You can download Morning on The Sun Kite's bandcamp page or listen on Spotify! 


No comments:

Post a Comment