Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Old Soul Song (For the New World Order) by Bright Eyes

I'm really not sure what to think about this week.

Between having eighty hours on my schedule, massively throwing off a project due to an error at work, fifteen hours of sleep over four days, administration hell at the DC DMV and one of the most "magical" nights I've had in a while... by Saturday morning I was ready to shut down and cry.

Parallel to my "magic" night this week, while at the Columbia Heights Starbucks, a song came out of left field and completely stopped me in my tracks. For no other reason than being at the right place at the right time, this song is going to represent the ultimately-disappointing, serendipitous moments in my life.

Old Soul Song (For the New World Order) opens up melancholic. The feeling lingers. Despite hoping, pleading, wishing the song would be anything other than a story without a happy ending, the end result leaves you with a sense of dread.

And just when I get so lonesome I can't speak,
I see some flowers on the hillside,
like a wall of new TVs,
Ya they go wild.

When Conor Oberst does what he does best and croons one of the most emotionally-devastatingly-sounding, raw passages to exist, life is no longer the same. He captures the moment, the end to something that shouldn't end, the throat-dropping-into-your-stomach disappointment, in a way I relate to. It's the feeling of everything being at war inside. The heart desperately trying to escape the mind and the mind trying to rationalize the heart's behavior. They go wild.

On Saturday morning, I may or may not have listened to this during the entire metro ride from Columbia Heights to Waterfront.

Listen to Old Soul Song (For the New World Order) when moments in life feel unfinished. Or don't. You might be better off emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment