Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Home Is by J.D. Vernon


Justin Vernon. When I mention him off-hand and proceed to gush over his brilliance, I frequently get inquisitive looks. When I lead with, "the man behind Bon Iver has other projects that I can't get over", people seem to understand on the surface level. There's always disconnect. Surely, nothing can be as stunning and delicate as Skinny Love or Holocene? Not a single person has ever further inquired about what his other projects involve or why I'm so emotionally entangled in them.  

I find this truly depressing. 

While there's a lot of be said and loved about Bon Iver, I can't get over everything else

Home Is, under the moniker of J.D. Vernon, is plausibly my all-time favorite work from Vernon. I hope that notion isn't disheartening, as it is one of his first projects. The album was put out in 2001, twelve whole years ago, while Vernon was only 20. Since then, we've had multiple releases with DeYardmond Edison, The Shouting Matches, Volcano Choir, as Justin Vernon, Gayngs, Bon Iver and multiple other projects. My notion sounds downright mad. However, I find something so enchanting about Home Is that I can't find elsewhere. 

Feels Like Home gives away the answer to the question imposed by the album title within the first minute: "home is where your family sleeps, same country sky is honest like it's always been". Despite the question already being answered, the song sets us up with a roadmap for the rest of the album. We learn further what home is and isn't, should and shouldn't be.  

Feel The Light is gospel-worthy. Initially, listen for the crooning of "peace on earth tonight/ let those stars shine bright/ let our souls feel high/ come on, feel the light" by Vernon and a female counterpart. Subsequently, listen for how Vernon eloquently describes people, places and his feelings. Especially, the line about him wanting to stay in a city, because everywhere people are making the best of their days. 

Breathe is the song to listen to to be reminded of the magic of life. 

May 27th, 1999 (5:23AM) regales a story about a girl leaving home for the first time. Vernon knows how to showcase the stark but realistic thoughts and feelings associated that transition: "so exchange your last looks/ and walk on a field for lost times/ forever isn't a measurement of time". Forever isn't a measurement of time. Saying goodbye is inevitable but not endless. But, home won't perpetually exist either. 

In addition to the above, listen to Leave It Alone and Trainyard Blues for the classic blues stories and harmonicas, When It Rains Down Here for nine minutes of quintessential folk, accompanied with a heart-wrenching violin, and Morning to be surprised when Vernon's brother starts rapping

Play the entire album when you want to be reminded of what home is or when you're ready to grow beyond Bon Iver. 

You can listen to Home Is on Youtube or on Grooveshark. For more insight on Justin Vernon as a person, Who, What and Where is Bon Iver?, by Jon Caramanica, is a lovely narrative. 


2 comments:

  1. Extremely well written article. Gotta love mr. Vernon.

    Heard 'Home is' for the first time a few years ago, and since has became one of, if not my favourite albums. I wish there were hard copies kicking around.

    Just found your blog today, and this is the first article I've read. I must say that if the rest of your material is anything near this I'll certainly be reading a whole lot more.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the comment.

      Home Is is up there on my favorite list as well. There's something so special and raw about the album. I haven't quite given up on owning a hard copy, but it's quite the pipe dream.

      Delete