Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

{Local] Kalorama by Luray


August is one of my favorite months in DC. While it's usually hotter than all hell, the month brings with it a flood of new people moving into the city. There's a mix of idealism, nativity, and passion that floats through the air. When I moved here, I was warned that DC was a "rough city" to adjust to. At first I didn't believe - the surrealism of living here trumped any and all other feelings I had. After a little bit of time, I agreed.

Kalorama by Luray adeptly describes the transition into this city. Upon first listen, between the gorgeous banjo-strumming and the dreamy folk sound, one wouldn't necessarily think this could be a song about a city, let alone this district.

The more I listen, the more frustrations I hear laced throughout the song. There's mentions of over-priced furniture, judgmental locals, driving around without finding parking and small stores that haven't been opened in thirty years.

Despite all the misgivings, "in Kalorama, we'll make it alright".

Luray is the band of Shannon Carey. Her debut album, The Wilder, was released yesterday and can (should) be purchased on iTunes. The band is being called a familial affair and is drawing comparisons to Bon Iver. S.Carey, her brother was originally the drummer in Bon Iver and even produced The Wilder. Another brother and her husband also contribute to the band. In my opinion, she has a very distinct style that varies vastly from Bon Iver or any of Justin Vernon's other projects. However, if that comparison is what it takes to have the album gain more (deserved) press, I'm all for it.

Listen to Kalorama if you're new to this city. Treat it as a mantra when riding out any rough patches. Listen to Kalorama if you're not new to this city and realize that you have made it alright. You can listen on SoundCloud.




(image of Mitchell Park via Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment