Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Pieces & Places: Coffy Cafe




(let's discuss the music I hear in district-area bars, coffee shops and other fine establishments)

Coffy Cafe is one of my three favorite coffee shops in this city. Being from Seattle, I'm extraordinarily picky with both how the coffee is and the overall feel to a place. Coffy has a special place in my heart - the board game group I'm a part of meets here every Wednesday. The coffee is fantastic, the crepes are delicious, the service is top-notch and the best part? It's mod themed. As a thrifter, collector and lover of mid-century-modern vintage decor, I am in heaven.

Date: August 25, 2013. 
Time: Early-mid afternoon. 
Vibe: Mostly the Sunday working crowd. Things are pretty quiet.
Drink of Choice: Large Iced Americano, extra-ice. 

Rio by Hey Marseilles - "Borders can keep me if Rio will have me to dance and to drown." 
I always thought of Hey Marseilles as Seattle's music sweethearts. Rio is one of those songs that instantly brightens my day. The minute I hear the clapping, I smile. 

Reach Out and Touch Someone's Hand by Cataldo - "there's no doubt, it's time to make some new plans." 
Prison Boxing is truly one of the greatest albums to ever exist. Reach Out and Touch Someone's Hand is one of those tracks I always forget to listen to, since it's at the end of the album. I find it honestly hard to move on from Don't Lose That Feeling. But, hearing the song out and about makes me realize how much I've been missing out on.

Way Back When by Kodaline - "Those will be the days that won my soul."
I've barely given Kodaline a listen in the past and that's a shame. This song fit in well here - it has a more old-fashioned sound than a lot of indie-folk nowadays. When I looked this song up, I wasn't entirely sure it'd be modern. 

Verdict: Unfortunately, the music was turned down shortly after deciding to write this. As much as I want them to play 1960's and 1970's music to go with the theme, I'll never be upset with a typical Seattle-esque coffee shop playlist.

I encourage everyone to check out what Coffy Cafe has to offer. If you're ever here on a Wednesday around seven, you'll find me with the board game crew in the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment