Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Marriage In The Dark by Night Beds

I can't help but to follow Bree Ryback of Capitol Romance on her blog and on Twitter. As an alternative wedding coordinator for DC area couples, she posts the most adorable weddings, ideas and engagement sessions! While I am no where near to being engaged or married, it's always a little bit of sunshine reading about local area couples in love who made it to the end of the aisle but to the beginning of a life together.

One of my favorite parts of Capitol Romance is Bree's series: Wedding Music That Doesn't Suck. Let's face it, I have a spotify playlist that is constantly updated, titled: "secret wedding playlist". Oh yes. I am already curating that perfect list of songs that will carry me through one of the biggest days of my life. While some girls have their wedding pinterest boards, I have this and I'm not even (that) ashamed.

Bree already has a few of my favorite contenders covered: Ends of the Earth by Lord Huron, 5 Years Time by Noah and the Whale, Thunder Clatter by Wild Cub, San Francisco by the Mowgli's, It's Nice to Be Alive by Ball Park Music, and so many more. She, obviously, has an amazing taste in music and I'm sold. While I'm in this sappy mood (currently, a few glasses of wine in at Busboys & Poets), I want to share the newest addition to my "secret wedding playlist".

A Marriage In The Dark by Night Beds is a track off of Night Beds EP, a harder to find release from Winston Yellen, who posted the link to download the EP on his Twitter a few weeks ago. I must say, the six tracks on this EP are some of my favorite work from Yellen and from the folk genre in general.

After a scratchy, old-fashioned, dramatic opening, A Marriage In The Dark is a stunningly beautiful song that stands just as grand without music, as a poem or a reading. With alternating rhyming schemes that switch up as the song progresses, this song will not escape my thoughts and wistful daydreams.
In your wedding gown
Is how he sees you now
A life to be found
In your wedding gown
Keep your picture in my shoe
Stomp my feet just to feel you
Come look at what we've found
Our hearts lying on the ground
Come on lets get married
We are more than ready
Come on lets get married
Tell me when you're ready 
What I find most fascinating about this song is how Yellen was able to evoke such honest, good-natured, loving emotions among "basements, a lot of alcohol, a lot of irreverent tuning but not that much need for talk" during the earlier stages of Night Beds. Catharsis the song may be, but I can't help but believe (hope) the story he is singing has a happy ending for him.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah! Someone clicked through to my blog from your post and I just couldn't help but to leave a little note :) Thank you so much for the kind words you wrote about my blog & especially my "wedding music that doesn't suck" posts! It's nice to know people love them as much as I do! Thanks for reading and following along with me & my blog :) xo, Bree

    ReplyDelete