Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chapters by Marshall Lewis

I'm no stranger to loving contemplative songs surrounding the issues of maturing, moving on, growing up or the passage of time. Before anyone casts judgement my way, I'm in my early twenties and music is my biggest but least obnoxious quarter-life crisis outlet. Instead of pouring my thoughts out in controversial or annoying Thought Catalog type lists, I have playlist after playlist of reflective but almost sulking tracks that feel right in this period of my life. 

Chapters by Marshall Lewis is a song I have been waiting months to have in my rotation of reflection-provoking music. Back in the early days of District of Folk, I wrote about Marshall Lewis' song, Step Into My Life (Restless) because I was so dearly impressed. At the time, he was just eighteen but already drawing rightful comparisons to Dallas Green of City and Colour. With Justin Vernon and Sufjan Stevens as other inspirations, he's setting a high bar for himself to live up to. Yet, somehow, that bar seems attainable the more I hear. 

Don't get me wrong, I will always love the early work from Marshall Lewis. However, I can't help but be excited for the direction his music is moving towards. Chapters has a beautifully polished sound and wisdom that puts him on a level playing-field with the big names in the genre. The brooding lyrics paired with the emotive vocal chords and soft guitar may fit the cookie-cutter mold of radio-bound folk, but beneath the surface Chapters offers so much more. 

I've been rooting for Marshall Lewis for seven months now and I will continue to do so. He strikes me as wise beyond his years and gives off good-natured vibes that will appeal to a broad spectrum of fans. Chapters only affirms these thoughts.

Listen to Chapters on Soundcloud or Spotify. I truly think this is a folk gem that everyone could appreciate. If low-fi electronica is more of your thing, the remix by Ianborg & Bronze Whale is also worth a listen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment