Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Coffee by Sylvan Esso

We've made it to Friday afternoon. This week was only a little bit hectic. The DC area experienced the closest thing to a real snowstorm in years. With slushy streets and frozen temperatures well in the single-digits, the Polar Vortex 2.0. came, saw and conquered. I went stir-crazy working from home two days in a row and came back to the office to deliver an hour long presentation (my first!). Last night was a late night with friends. It's 1:45PM on Friday and I can finally breathe this week.

While I'm tempted to walk over to Starbucks for a 2PM coffee fix, I'm holding steady for now and playing Sylvan Esso on repeat.

Where have we heard Sylvan Esso before? In September the due opened for Volcano Choir where I was immediately enamored and vowed to catch them again if they ever headlined. With lush vocals and catchy dance beats, Hey Mami and Play It Right were streamed to the point of wear. Sadly, up until now, these two songs and their concert sets were about the only material coming forth. I bought tickets to see them at DC9 on Tuesday -- where/when else would I hear more of their music?

Today is a great day, as a new track, Coffee, was released yesterday. Coffee is more mellow than Hey Mami or Play It Right but that's not a bad thing. In fact, I'm relieved that the band can execute perfect dance anthems and more quiet pop. I can't help but to notice and love the percussion here - especially how much the xylophone stands out.

"Get up, get down" is repetitive. It's almost as if the entire song is composed of just that line. Coffee, as a substance, does bring us up until we reach the epitome of a mid-day high and subsequently crash hard. Coffee, as the song, is gentle. The more I listen, the better I feel but it's a very gradual climb.

Listen to Coffee on bandcamp. If you're in the DC area, I highly reccomend attending their show at DC9 on Tuesday, with local artist, PLOY. Come say hi. It's going to be a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment