Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

In Now And Then by Cataldo


Eric Anderson, the multi-instrumentalist and lyricist behind Cataldo, knows how to craft albums with insanely brilliant songs about the trials and tribulations of life and love. Prison Boxing, released in 2011, features nine tracks with notions of hopeless romanticism, clever metaphors, and vivid imagery that has listeners both aspiring to find magic and staying realistic. I had this album on repeat for most of the year.

It was announced a few months ago that we'd see another album from Cataldo, Gilded Oldies, in the new year. I'm already anticipating this album to be one of my favorites of 2014. Unfortunately, March 4 is still two months away.

To hold us over, MAGNET Magazine premiered a track off of the album. In Now And Then stays true to Cataldo's distinct style and sound, yet also feels more mature. There's the opening piano and drum bit with a lush rhythm that has me tapping and nodding along. The trumpets are a treat that build up to the best instrumental portions presented in these three minutes. Lyrically, there's not as much to offer but I don't feel as if I'm missing out. "I'll be in now and then" continues with Anderson's apparent tradition of vague lyrics that are likely attributable to failed relationships. These emotions aren't trivial ones. "I'll be in now and then" could represent that sinking feeling in my stomach as I wander the streets of my neighborhood, anticipating the dreaded moment where I'll see an ex-boyfriend. Replace "Rebecca, Rebecca, Rebecca" with the name of any ex-boyfriend or girlfriend and this song just became easy to relate to.

Listen to In Now And Then over on MAGNET Magazine's online site. Join me as I count down the days until Gilded Oldies is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment