Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Onwards to 2014

Oh, 2013.

You were the year. In the past three hundred and sixty or so days I: learned what it was like to love and lose 10x faster than normal, subsequently met the best friends I could ask for out east, played so many board games, moved to U Street/ Columbia Heights in an amazing apartment, bought a Fiat for my birthday, started this silly blog, lived summer to the absolute fullest, slept around, kicked ass at work, gained my favorite client, traveled a bit, missed family, went to a few shows, got more serious about thrifting, started running again, learned how to cook a few dishes… My mantra for 2014 is:

 DREAM BIG

What does 2014 have in store? I want to see as many shows as I have the time, energy and funds to do so. This means: Damien Jurado, Sylvan Esso, San Fermin, Water Liars, Ron Pope and Typhoon to start off the Winter/ Early Spring concert season. Four of these are at DC9. I'm prepared to establish residency there. This might also mean seeing Swear and Shake and Vikesh Kapoor. In addition, I want 2014 to be the year where I dive straight into local music, see more bands play at bars and start attending more house shows. I need friends who are as into this as I am, apparently.

Continuing with music goals, I want to fix my record player (or find one that works), buy more vinyl, and support more smaller artists on bandcamp. This will be the year of mix cd/ spotify playlist trades. For the blog, I've kept District of Folk going for six months now already. I will start queuing posts, hopefully adhering to a more consistent schedule, but will avoid having filler entries or posting music I am not wildly passionate about. I want to grow and hone in on the local folk, while forging relationships with artists.

I am very much looking forward to my first trip abroad in March! Two friends and I are heading to MedellĂ­n and Bogota, Colombia for a week. Other travel plans include Seattle to visit friends and family back home, possibly Myrtle Beach for more spring break plans, Philadelphia for work training and hopefully Newport again for the Newport Folk Festival. It's time to see more of the world.

Promotion at work is a possibility this year and I'm prepared to fight for it. If I truly intend on accomplishing everything I am setting out to do, I need to be more organized and more efficient. With a little better planning, I can do it all. For health, I will start my insulin pump in January and will continue running. I'm not sure if I have any big race goals this year, but my coworkers are starting to discuss running a Ragnar together in October. I also want to continuing learning how to cook and eat more clean.

With relationships, I want to be a better friend, girlfriend, daughter and sister. I will stay in touch with my friends back home more. I will take steps to repair the strained relationship with my sister. I will fly home and visit people. I also want to cultivate the friend group I have in DC and learn how to have long term friendships as an adult. It's going to be a beautiful year.

Remember, DREAM BIG is the mantra. My thoughts on 2014 are wildly ambitious but I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment