Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Only Time Will Tell (Demo) by Neal Martin Amundson

I have a soft spot for demos. In a way, a musician is trusting listeners with their vulnerabilities. These are honest words, the visions of a single song-writer or the few members of a band, and a raw sound that truly captures an artist's abilities. Sadly, while demos can be the bridge between recording songs in a bedroom and the possibility of mainstream success, it can be difficult to track them down. Nowadays, with sites such as bandcamp, soundcloud and the easy ability to upload songs for the world to hear, so many talented individuals are coming forth. There are the songs and albums recorded in basements, in living rooms, with family, with friends... Songs and albums that are so homegrown and so outstanding. These songs and these albums are the reason why I blog.

The current demo stuck in my head is this track, Only Time Will Tell by Neal Martin Amundson. To be honest, this is another Reddit find. Much like how Matthew Fowler posted Beginning once upon a time, "CrispyNeal" wanted r/indiefolk to take a chance on his music. I went for it.

Only Time Will Tell appears to be a coming of age/ moving on story that is stark and realistic. I'm not sure what Amundson's background is, but these are insights one usually only has after moving away from home, betting on yourself, and following your dreams. The song starts out steady but with no hook. Usually, I know I'll love a song after a few seconds. I almost gave up until the chorus changed everything,"but only time will tell, if I'm across the state line and living well. Well, they say that's what passion's for, stepping out and seeing more. So, kick me passionately out the door." These wise words are consistently stuck in my head as of late.

Listen to Only Time Will Tell on soundcloud and marvel at how great the music climate is these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment