Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

By My Side (Everlasting Life) by Valley Maker

In the last twenty-four hours, I've discovered Yes I Know I’ve Loved This World, an album by Valley Maker; listened to By My Side (Everlasting Life), decided that I immediately needed to buy the album without making it past the first few lines of that first track; woke up at 3AM and re-streamed the song; biked to Union Station; endured four hours of my train ride before deciding that I needed the song in my life again; struggled with spotty Amtrak wireless; and was finally able to listen via the Soundcloud app. All the trouble was worth it.

By My Side (Everlasting Life) had that instant chemistry with me from those first few lines: "When the sun lights up your face/ don't give me time/ don't give me space/ just give me something that I can taste/ like you right by my side". After the opening, there's another three minutes of open and beautiful verses. My feelings about music and my feelings about people operate with similar mechanisms. Personally, I'm never sure how to describe the sensation when I meet someone who clicks and takes my life to a whole new plane, however, this song does a pretty damn good job. I want to feel about someone as passionately as the song describes, but I think I'd settle for feeling about someone the way I feel about the song. It's just that good.

Honestly, I've already purchased the album without listening to anything else. Something tells me I'm in for a real treat and I'll save it for the eight-hour trip back to DC.

Austin Crane is the force behind Valley Maker. Some of you may be familiar with his work already - I know I've had a few of his songs pop into my life before. After recording this album in Columbia, South Carolina, he moved out to my lovely city of Seattle! He'll flourish in that scene.

Listen to By My Side (Everlasting Life) and the rest of Yes I Know I’ve Loved This World on Bandcamp or Soundcloud.


No comments:

Post a Comment