Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Weekend Video: Typhoon @ Room 125 Productions

I'm happy the school year has started once again. Although I'm no longer in school, September means the return of Room 125 Productions' Classroom Sessions. In what may be the coolest class of all time, at Lawrence High School, students have the opportunity to meet with artists and develop their live film-making skills. The Classroom Sessions have featured a wide variety of artists since its inception in 2010, including many of my favorites: Hey Marseilles, Pickwick, The Local Strangers, Water Liars, and The Head and The Heart. Most recently, Typhoon stopped by to perform.

I'll have enough to say about Typhoon's live performances once I publish my recap of their concert at Rock and Roll Hotel, last Wednesday. With this, however, I want to highlight Kyle's response to the question about whether Typhoon's songs are paradoxical. Because, the songs sound upbeat but actually reflect morbid realities. I think his answer here is exceptional and guiding, evidence that he is someone high school students can and should look up to. Despite all the darkness in his life, there's opportunity to make the most out of it (to cast out the light) and I love that sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment