Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pickwick @ Rock and Roll Hotel


"Thank you for showing DC how Seattle can rock."

I'm not ashamed of how much of a Pickwick supporter/fan I am. I love my Seattle bands and I keep them close to my heart. The spirit of the Seattle music scene flooded this show and I haven't missed home so much in ages. 

My Friday night started off as it normally does - stacked full of social plans but trying to fit everything and everyone in. I bike-shared from my apartment down to Chinatown to meet up with a friend for happy hour. A couple of beers left me appropriately buzzed for what would follow. A longer-than-I-expected ride over to H Street happened and I arrived to Rock and Roll Hotel right when doors were supposed to open. 

I have a penchant for arriving early, and early I was. Sound check was still happening but the second floor bar was hosting a drunk spelling bee and I joined in. A couple arrived upstairs and asked me if I was here to see Pickwick. I was and mentioned how much I loved them, especially being from Seattle. "Oh, you're from Seattle?", the lady, Sandy, asked, "do you know of another Seattle band, Campfire OK?". Yes! I told her that I really enjoyed their new album and had listened to it through and through the day before. She was thrilled, as she was Mychal, the lead singer's mother. This is what the Seattle music scene is all about. We hit it off, she showed me some baby pictures and I couldn't get over how unreal/adorable the whole exchange was. I definitely tweeted about it. Sandy ended up winning second place in the Spelling Buzz too! 

After I struck out during the Spelling Buzz for misspelling "geisha" (I know, I know), I headed downstairs and snagged myself a sweet little spot in the front row.

The Petticoat Tearoom opened and I thoroughly enjoyed their set. They're a Baltimore/DC area band and I'm hoping writing it down here will keep me accountable to go out and see more of their shows. Lately, the five-piece band has been drawing comparisons to Blitzen Trapper, Dawes and other folk-americana bands. The Baltimore/DC area needs more of this sound and I'm happy the Petticoat Tearoom were able to deliver so wonderfully. I spent some time this week listening to their most recent self-titled release and I'm convinced they need more attention. At the very least, listen to I Have Been Lost right now and I'll do a full write-up here shortly.

Between sets, I made a concert buddy, Cody, who had lived in Seattle for three months. I couldn't agree more with his feelings about the city: "those three months in Seattle were the most depressing of my life, but I still love that place".

With that thought in the air, Pickwick walked onto stage. Generally, I'm fairly good at remembering the order of songs played, but for some reason, I can't figure it out for the life of me. The set-list blended together, in the best way possible. I can't remember a single down period and I kept remembering the notion that Pickwick is truly a rock band. Despite my love of folk, there's really none involved here. The Round, Halls of Columbia and Lady Luck were my highlights. The Round, for being my current favorite; Halls of Columbia, for being the opening track that had me hooked; and Lady Luck for how much more I appreciated the song after seeing it live.

In addition to playing most of Can't Talk Medicine, several new songs were played. I must say, I'm so so excited for their new material. Pickwick has such a distinct style that they're sticking to and that's such a good thing. I don't think this band can do any wrong.

Galen was just as amazing as you'd imagine. While I knew his vocal range was off the charts, actually experiencing him live was a whole 'nother level of extraordinary. From the soft high pitches in Lady Luck to the guttural sounds in Halls of Columbia to the harmonizing in Window Sill - watching him span all the ranges was truly incredible. With his stage presence, you could tell he was made for this. I couldn't even get a great picture due to how much he was bouncing and rocking around. I definitely got hit with the microphone cord one or twice (worth it!).

Window Sill was the closing song and damn did we all rock out. For the encore, I believe they covered Pump It Up by Elvis Costello. I never realized it until then, but Pickwick absolutely has that Costello-vibe.

After the show, I went upstairs to buy a physical copy of their album. I ran into Sandy and we introduced ourselves to Galen. She pretty much pushed me towards him and he was such a sweetheart about conversing with fans. I told him about my passion in supporting my Seattle bands and he truly seemed humbled by all the praise I was pouring out of my mouth. I also got to watch him converse with Sandy about Campfire OK. I stood there floored because I got to experience the Seattle music community first-hand, three-thousand miles away. Parting ways, I thanked him for showing DC how much Seattle can rock.

Sandy and I said goodbye as well. We hugged and I, once again, reaffirmed how many people truly believe in Campfire OK. On a strange, music-inspired high, I walked out of Rock and Roll ready for whatever the rest of the evening would throw at me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment